Skip to main content

Show HN: I made a community-based writing application https://ift.tt/OCkQrXK

Show HN: I made a community-based writing application Hi HN! Writing has been a big part of my life for the last few years. It's helped me make sense of the world around me through journaling, and my blog and technical books have made wonders for my career as an engineer. Something I've always been missing is an online community where I can practice my skills and learn from other aspiring writers. I built Tavern, hoping to solve my own problem. Its main concept is that every Monday everyone in the app gets asked the same writing prompt and you have seven days to submit your answer. You can look at what others have posted, but only after you've submitted your answer. My hope is that this way I will reduce lurking and encourage more people to actually write rather than think about it. There is a concept of giving likes (ales, since the whole app is tavern-themed), but I've given it a twist by not showing the number of likes an answer has until you like it. Also, answers are always sorted by date, with the latest ones on top. This way if you open Tavern three times this week you'll be able to scroll until the last answers you've read and leave, they won't get shuffled. Tavern's not a technical wonder by no means - you can probably put it together in a hackathon. But I put a lot of effort into the design and its simplicity, so people can focus on the content. I have more plans for it in terms of features but I wanted to launch the bare-bones build as soon as possible. Hope you like it! https://ift.tt/d01PLNJ February 13, 2023 at 02:07PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog