Skip to main content

Show HN: Google hijacking search from GitHub, Twitter, others https://ift.tt/IBZ6lzS

Show HN: Google hijacking search from GitHub, Twitter, others I couldn't find any relevant info about this. Maybe I'm part of some new Chrome experiment, or just very bad at searching. Here's what it looks like: https://ift.tt/f3O925i I opened a new Chrome tab just now, typed GitHub in the address bar. Opened the top suggested repository I'm checking frequently, and then used the GitHub search input box. As GitHub search results loaded, on the right side of the Chrome address bar I noticed a new, and colorful G icon. Animating and distracting, the icon expanded into a pretty big inline notification saying "See more search results". After a few seconds it animated and minimized itself back to the G icon. Clicking the icon opens a right side panel with Google results of my GitHub query. I then tried to search for something via the Chrome address bar. Without clicking on any of the results, I used the address bar again to open Twitter's home page (typing twitter.com). The animated G icon showed up again - right there on Twitter's home page. Firefox installed. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. October 29, 2022 at 11:42AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog