Skip to main content

Show HN: Payload, X-Platform Desktop App for LAN File Transfers [Tauri/Rust, Go] https://ift.tt/3noRjgk

Show HN: Payload, X-Platform Desktop App for LAN File Transfers [Tauri/Rust, Go] Hi HN. I built Payload to make file transfers easy for less-technical users who need large/fast transfers, so I have focused on auto-discovery, drag-and-drop, visually distinct device icons. It's using Tauri (an "Electron alternative" built on Rust) which keeps my binaries small and bundles to .msi, .dmg, .deb and .appimage. No CLI, iOS or Android support (yet). The network stack is a separate binary written in Go. It uses mDNS for local network discovery and TLS over TCP or Quic, with a public Ed25519 keypair for each device. The protocol is ad-hoc and symmetrical control stream using JSON and binary data streams. Planning to open source these parts eventually.. Transfers should saturate the local network link. It reaches ~116 MB/s wired at my home, but if you have a >1000 Mbit link, I'd be curious to see how much speed you can squeeze out. See also: https://ift.tt/8r1Czks https://ift.tt/a35oM61 https://payload.app/ July 15, 2022 at 01:16AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Show HN: KittenDNS – easy to setup, rule engine, LetsEncrypt compatible https://ift.tt/JEbrc0i

Show HN: KittenDNS – easy to setup, rule engine, LetsEncrypt compatible My goal was to create a DNS server as simple as the LDAP server I've been contributing to (glauth) and here it is: https://ift.tt/i6S4IHQ A few things to know about it: - It is easy to configure using a Toml file - I am using it to bail my coredns/etcd instances when under attack - (yes, it also works as a service location server) - It comes with a simple, plain English, rule engine that doesn't do much at this point - It can be used with LetsEncrypt. I use it to retrieve certificates for my home servers. - RFC: all the nice ones :) Anyway, feedback is welcome. May 16, 2022 at 03:34AM