Show HN: Tool for freelancers to calculate how much money to set aside After having been a regular employee for years, I worked as a freelancer for a while. Going into my freelancing life I had no real mental model for how much of the money I earned was truly mine to spend, and how much of it I needed to set aside for taxes, vacations, retirement, and in case I got sick. I modelled this in Excel as best I could and was quite surprised both by how complicated it was to get right, and how much money I actually needed to set aside! As my girlfriend also started freelancing last year, I decided to turn my Excel sheet into a little program she could use too, and in the spirit of sharing and helping others I would hereby like to make it available to you all too :) My biggest take-away so far has been that most people dramatically underestimate how much they need to set aside, and forget to plan adequately for getting sick and for retirement. You can find the tool here: https://ift.tt/NgBcVnh Comments, questions, and suggestions are more than welcome! I wish you all a happy Easter Weekend! In case you skipped to the bottom: you can find the tool at https://ift.tt/NgBcVnh April 16, 2022 at 11:05PM
Show HN: KittenDNS – easy to setup, rule engine, LetsEncrypt compatible My goal was to create a DNS server as simple as the LDAP server I've been contributing to (glauth) and here it is: https://ift.tt/i6S4IHQ A few things to know about it: - It is easy to configure using a Toml file - I am using it to bail my coredns/etcd instances when under attack - (yes, it also works as a service location server) - It comes with a simple, plain English, rule engine that doesn't do much at this point - It can be used with LetsEncrypt. I use it to retrieve certificates for my home servers. - RFC: all the nice ones :) Anyway, feedback is welcome. May 16, 2022 at 03:34AM
Comments