Show HN: Newser, utility written in go to generate a pdf with news content I've gotten myself a Supernote A5X (awesome device btw) and since it doesn't have a web browser or anything I've wanted to have a way to read news on it. I've hacked together this utility in a couple of days and it works wonders for me personally so I thought it might be interesting to others. It can also be used as a noise free newspaper generator as it removes images/ads/links and other noisy stuff. https://ift.tt/Su7EifL (there is a screenshot of the first page of the generated pdf) It scrapes (news) websites for content and puts it into a pdf. For me the pdf location is my dropbox supernote directory so my setup is to run this thing daily and have a fresh pdf with news whenever I want it. It's rough around the edges probably (currently added crawl support for verge, ars, engadget) but I think it's a good base so if anyone wants to contribute feel free. Some of the stuff I want to add is pictures (maybe), maybe parse the text html to include font styling and other stuff. I've tried to generalize it as much as possible so the crawling is pretty much automatic and is controlled by a config file where you define "rules" on how to parse the website. February 21, 2022 at 12:58AM
Show HN: KittenDNS – easy to setup, rule engine, LetsEncrypt compatible My goal was to create a DNS server as simple as the LDAP server I've been contributing to (glauth) and here it is: https://ift.tt/i6S4IHQ A few things to know about it: - It is easy to configure using a Toml file - I am using it to bail my coredns/etcd instances when under attack - (yes, it also works as a service location server) - It comes with a simple, plain English, rule engine that doesn't do much at this point - It can be used with LetsEncrypt. I use it to retrieve certificates for my home servers. - RFC: all the nice ones :) Anyway, feedback is welcome. May 16, 2022 at 03:34AM
Comments