Skip to main content

Show HN: BrainTool – Beyond Bookmarks, a Topic Manager for your online life https://ift.tt/3k2pV9r

Show HN: BrainTool – Beyond Bookmarks, a Topic Manager for your online life Long time looker, first time Show-er here! I built the initial BrainTool to scratch a personal itch - to unify my bookmarks and online resources with text-based notes. I've spent the last several months iterating on it with feedback from early adopters and UX volunteers. It's finally at the point where I feel confident enough to seek this communities feedback. BrainTool is a browser extension that makes it easy to save pages of interest into a personal 'topic' hierarchy, along with associated notes. Your topics are shown in an editable side panel which can also control the browser - opening and closing tabs, tab groups and windows by topic. There's a 90 sec intro video here: https://youtu.be/7zvyvATpoVM The above by itself makes BrainTool one of the handiest bookmarks/tabs/browser managers around, but the kicker is that all your data is stored in a separately editable org-mode[1] format plaintext file. Off-browser I edit my braintool file in emacs but I've also played around syncing with LogSeq, Orgzly and other org-based tools. If you're an emacs user it could give you a shallow on-ramp into the world of org-mode, if you're an aspiring PKMer it's an easy way to slurp in all of your online resources, if you just want to get out of tab hell and up your browser game - dive right in! Its serverless so your data never leaves your personal environment. Chromium-based browsers only for now (Chrome, Edge, Brave, etc. not FF). Landing page: https://braintool.org Some articles on use: https://ift.tt/2W25nW8 Github repo: https://ift.tt/37RSC3d [1] https://orgmode.org/ August 18, 2021 at 10:52PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Show HN: KittenDNS – easy to setup, rule engine, LetsEncrypt compatible https://ift.tt/JEbrc0i

Show HN: KittenDNS – easy to setup, rule engine, LetsEncrypt compatible My goal was to create a DNS server as simple as the LDAP server I've been contributing to (glauth) and here it is: https://ift.tt/i6S4IHQ A few things to know about it: - It is easy to configure using a Toml file - I am using it to bail my coredns/etcd instances when under attack - (yes, it also works as a service location server) - It comes with a simple, plain English, rule engine that doesn't do much at this point - It can be used with LetsEncrypt. I use it to retrieve certificates for my home servers. - RFC: all the nice ones :) Anyway, feedback is welcome. May 16, 2022 at 03:34AM